School SEND Local Offer

SEN Policy 2019-20


Special Educational Provison at St Anne’s RCP.

At St Anne’s we are committed to ensuring every child has the provision to meet their full potential. We support a variety of children from a range of cultural and social backgrounds. Some of these children have a Special Educational Need. School supports SEN children with a variety of needs across the school. Such as:  

  • Cognitive Learning difficulties (Mild, Severe and Multi)
  • Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Spelling and Phonics)
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health
  • Communication and Interaction needs  
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • ADHA
  • FAS

St Anne’s commitment

  • Our SENCo has several years’ experience in the field of SEND, having qualified for the
  • Our team of teaching assistants have extensive experience and training in planning, delivering and assessing intervention programmes.
  • Staff are trained each year on the needs of new students joining the school – this can include training from specialist agencies or consultants, as well as from our SENCo or other staff with relevant expertise.
  • SEND training forms part of the continuing professional development of all teaching staff.
  • The school works closely with other local schools across the Diocese of Salford, and Manchester LA sharing training opportunities.
  • The SENCo meets with the senior leadership team and SEN Governor every ½ term to review the SEN register; this includes updates on training needs, how to support children new to the school. Governors also receive a termly SEN report to enable them to effectively monitor SENd across the school.
  • our school’s Accessibility Plan available on this website outlines adaptations made to the building to meet particular needs and enhance learning.


How we support

We ensure that we identify children’s difficulties as soon as possible to ensure provision matches needs. We do this through a range of school assessments and pupil progress meetings. We then begin a cycle of plan, do and review, which is explained in detail in our SEN Policy.

Once it has been identified that a child might have a SEN difficultly we aim to meet with the parents to discuss this further and begin a family centred approach to the plan, do and review system. This will involve setting targets to track small steps in progress.

Where possible we involve the children in this process and develop ‘one page profiles’ to enable children with SEN to have their views heard.  We inform them of targets and outcomes to enable them to take control of their own learning.


We want all SEN children to achieve their best where possible we ensure they have specific assessments arranged to ensure children can achieve their best. 

  • our school’s Assessment Policy outlines the range of assessments regularly used throughout the school (available in school)
  • Pupil progress meetings 3X yearly
  • progress of children with speech and language needs is assessed and reviewed regularly throughout the year by our speech and language therapist
  • a cycle of consultation meetings, based on the assess-plan-do-review model takes place throughout the year for children involved with our Educational Psychology service
  • an Annual Review is held for children holding Education, Health and Care Plans); interim reviews can also be arranged throughout the year if deemed necessary
  • when children are assessed by the SENCo or by external agencies, meetings take place with the parents/carers and the class teacher to discuss the finding and how best to address need and meet targets
  • when assessing children with SEN , consideration is given to recording needs e.g. a reader, scribe, additional time or rest breaks may be necessary – generally whatever support is provided in the class room is provided as far as is permitted during tests
  • initial concerns about a child’s progress are discussed with the SENCo and parents  and followed by referrals to external agencies or placement on intervention programmes as deemed appropriate.


If we feel children need further support from outside agencies we can make a school referral or a health referral via our resident school nurse.

We refer to

  • Occupational Therapy
  • School Nurse
  • Social Services
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language

We work through a multi-agency approach to ensure children and families have their needs met.


Teaching and Learning

Ensuring all pupils have access to quality first teaching is essential for all pupils. SEN pupil’s access differentiated activities in the classroom to meet their needs and targets as well as tailored interventions to enhance their learning. School tries to ensure that SEN pupils have their learning environment adapted where possible to meet their needs and ensure that resources are available where possible to add further support. Learning is matched to children’s needs and next steps are planned with the support of the SENco in all classes.

School always acts upon advice received from external agencies (e.g. enlarging of print for VI children; most advantageous positioning of HI children within the classroom and use of aids as recommended; use of laptops for children with recording needs; use of coloured overlays and exercise books for children with dyslexic tendencies; use of brain breaks, sensory cushions, weighted blankets for children with sensory issues).

We endeavour to ensure that all class rooms are dyslexia friendly including use of labelled resources, word walls, prompt mats, highlighting pens and reading rulers, coloured interactive boards, individual resources – number lines, 100 squares, phonic prompts, ACE dictionaries, alternative means of recording, writing frames, modelled and shared writing opportunities .


We endeavour to ensure that all class rooms are ASC friendly including use of visual timetables, personalised timetables and prompt/sequence cards as necessary, visual schedules, quiet work stations, and areas of retreat, pictorially labelled resources. We endeavour to ensure that all class rooms are speech and language friendly including use of visual feedback, ‘chunking’ of instructions



SEN pupils are assessed regularly, but always at appropriate points in learning to monitor their progress and ensure there needs are being fully met.  This may be by using formal national tests or against individual targets. We try where possible to ensure their SEN difficulty is taken into consideration and that this is not a barrier to assessment of attainment. We do this using a number of strategies:

  • 1:1 assessments or small group assessment
  • Extra time
  • Scribing
  • Reading questions (where permitted)
  • Breaks and time out
  • Assessment practice





Every term we review all children’s progress and take particular consideration of our SEN pupils, ensuring their targets are reviewed and restructured, where applicable will inform parents of any changes.

Twice a year we hold a parent consultation meeting, this is an opportunity for parents and children to meet with teachers to discuss their progress.  The SENco is continually available during this time to meet with parents and has an open door policy throughout the year.

At the end of every year, SEN pupils receiving a high level of support or those with EHC Plan/Statement have an annual review. Where appropriate the LA SEN team will send a representative. This provides further opportunity for families to voice their views and wishes for further provision for their child.


The staff are provided with regular training sessions to enable them to support children to high standards. Where more specialist staff training is needed school seek to identify needs through regular meetings and try to enable staff to access this. 

We have staff trained specifically in a range of SEN areas, ASD, ADHD, Communication and Language, Perception Awareness and Sensory Development.

Where possible staff supporting SEN pupils are at least level 2 trained and are mostly level 3, this ensures children are supported at a high standard.


Throughout the year the provision of all staff for SEND children is monitored by the SENco. This includes

  • Book security
  • Observation of pupils and staff
  • Pupil voice
  • Planning security
  • To ensure standards remain high this is overseen by the head teacher and the SEN Governor.

Supporting Emotional and social development

St Anne’s works extremely hard to ensure that we look to support the whole child and take the mental wellbeing of our children extremely seriously. To support children who are struggling in this area we provide

  • Weekly social support from CARITAS, who works with targeted children.
  • Social groups including Lego Therapy
  • Social communication groups
  • 1:1 mentoring
  • 1-1 sessions with Caritas Counsellor
  • specialist advice from our speech and language therapist for children with social communication/interaction difficulties -
  • specialist advice from our Educational Psychologist –
  • Relax kids’ sessions to improve the emotional well-being of identified children.


At St Anne’s we believe providing SEN pupils with a clear supportive programme for transition to high school is vital to their success in their future setting.

This may include:

Meeting with leader from secondary schools, involving families and pupils

  • Support with understanding transport, such as practise runs.
  • Transition days in addition to the main ones with support where needed
  • Personal profiles for next school
  • Transfer of documents

SEND support in school

  • There are currently 421 children on roll. We have 27 teaching assistants employed in school, providing a higher staff to pupil ratio which maximises learning potential for all our children; most are trained to deliver a number of intervention programmes throughout the school. Some TAs are deployed in classes to support children on a 1:1 or small group basis or to cover the class in order that the class teacher can provide 1:1 or small group support. In Y5 and Y6, teaching and learning is carefully structured so that the children have support in the delivery of the literacy and numeracy curriculum that very closely matches their level of development. This may involve the children being taught by more than one teacher in any day.
  • We follow the Code of Practice for SEN
  • We teach a differentiated curriculum to ensure that the needs of all children are met
  • We implement individual education plans with s.m.a.r.t. targets
  • A large number of intervention programmes are in place for children who require additional support e.g.  Precision Teaching; Numicon; Socially Speaking; Motor Programme; Toe-by-Toe, FFT,  
  • Individual laptops are used for children with recording needs.
  • For children with specific identified or diagnosed needs, we work very closely with external agencies to ensure that the best possible support is in place (e.g. educational psychologist, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, specialist teachers from Camberwell Park Specialist Support School). Meetings are often held in school involving specialists (as noted above) and/or parents to set targets, evaluate progress and ensure consistency of approach in addressing needs in school and at home.
  • specific resources or strategies are in place for many children recommended by external agencies e.g. coloured overlays/exercise books, sloping boards, sensory cushions, use of ‘brain breaks’, access to area of quiet retreat, personalised schedules or sequence strips

SENCO arrangements

  • St Anne’s  SENCo is non class based meaning she has time to work with individual children and support staff.

Our Governing Body works with other bodies, including health and social services bodies, local authority support services and voluntary organisations in meeting the needs of our children with SEN and in supporting the families of such children

  • External support services play an important part in helping school identify, assess and make provision for pupils with special educational needs.  Our school receives regular visits from One Education Educational Psychology Service. In addition, school may seek advice from specialist advisory teachers from Camberwell Specialist Support Services and the Grange School for children with social and communication difficulties sensory impairment or physical/medical difficulties
  • The speech and language therapy and occupational therapy services (NHS) involved with individual children support school in the implementation of specific programmes and contribute to the monitoring of progress and reviews of children. School also employs a Speech and Language Therapist for ½ day a week to support staff and meet the needs of children needing a SLI programme.
  • School maintains links with child health services, children’s social care services and education welfare services to ensure that all relevant information is considered when making provision for our children with SEN.
  • Our School Health Practitioner is available for advice and attends meetings in school on request following referrals to the service made by school.
  • Liaison meetings take place in the summer term before children enter the next class to ensure excellent communication exists. Liaison with other nurseries in the area also occurs.
  • School has also enlisted support from ‘Caritas’ – the social support service from the Salford Diocese
  •  Early Help procedures are adhered to by school whereby help is offered to children and families before any problems are apparent and when low level problems emerge.
  • The Education, Health and Care planning process which will be implemented for our children at the close of each Key Stage will mean that there will be more holistic support around children and their families.


Involving children with SEN in their education and progress.

  • Children with SEND are represented in proportion to their numbers in the school on our School Council
  • ‘My Target Plans’ are discussed and reviewed with children as they work on their IEPs.
  • children’s self-evaluation is actively encouraged throughout the school and children are supported where necessary to think of areas for development and how best to develop in these areas in school and at home; children are aware of their assessment levels and the challenging targets set to support their development
  • All extra-curricular activities (listed on this website) are available to all our children
  • Before and after school care is available to all our children
  • Residential trip available to all children in Year 6.

Preventing Bullying

School have a rigorous and detailed behaviour policy as well as an Anti-bullying chart. We take this issue extremely seriously and work hard to support all children experiencing bullying, particularly SEN children.

Complaints from parents of children with SEN concerning the provision made at school?

  • It is in everyone’s interests for complaints to be resolved as quickly and at as low a level as possible and our complaint procedure is as follows:
  • The complaint is dealt with by the class teacher – the complainant needs to feel that they have been listened to and that all points raised have been addressed. If the matter remains unresolved,
  • The complaint is dealt with by the SENCo or by a senior manager. If there is still no resolution
  • The Head teacher should become actively involved
  • If the matter is still not resolved, the complainant must put their complaint in writing to the Chair of Governors
  • The Governing Body will deal with the matter through their agreed complaint resolution procedures


Manchester LA SEN Offer can be accessed by visiting

The SEN team can be contacted on 0161 245 7439

Parent partnership 0161 245 7309



© Copyright 2014–2020 St Anne's Roman Catholic Primary School